Sunday, August 12, 2012

Catching Up



I figured after more than 6 months, it was finally time to update our blog.

Here’s a quick review of the last few months:

Feb: After several fun outings such as the aquarium, serpentarium, and museo del area fundacional (foundation museum), I returned home to work on papers for Lucas’s visa, taxes, and to take necessary classes at BYU.

I unfortunately had to leave my husband behind and we returned to this…


And this…



March: I finally started my taxes thinking I would have plenty of time to finish by the deadline. Little did I know that I would end up doing tax work for the next 3 months! I’ve learned my lesson well; an international marriage complicates everything! But of course my sweet husband is worth it ;)

April: After almost a year, I made it to my home in Arizona! And then I got sick and spent most of the week that I had there in bed L.  When I finally got better I went to talk to a friend who had a spouse go through the Visa process.  He told me that I had basically picked the slowest visa option and, on top of that, it had taken his wife 3 years to get to the states! I went into panic mode because I had left Argentina thinking my husband would be able to join me in May. I spent the last of my vacation looking at new options for getting my husband here.

I started my classes! My brother Daniel made fun of me when I told him what classes I was taking. He said, “Let me get this straight. You came all the way, from Argentina, where they speak Spanish, to take Spanish classes?”
It’s true, but the reasoning behind it does make sense. I lacked about 7 credits to be able to enter into an online BYU program. While I was deciding which classes to take I learned about a language certificate you can earn at BYU. I figured I would kill two birds with one stone so I signed up for all the necessary classes, giving myself a full schedule.

May: I turned 27! And it felt like it J.

June: Lucas turned 29! Man we’re getting old.

At the end of the semester, I made another trip home with my mom. We got there on Thursday and I had planned to get on a plane the next day to California and spend a weekend there with my friends.
I got online Thursday to double check my flight info and I’m glad I did. I realized I had booked the wrong weekend!
I don’t know how I do things like that.
Anyway, long story short, I had to get a new ticket, and was only able to stay in California for 1 day. It turned out ok in the end though, because I was able to spend more time at home and was actual able to enjoy it this time.

I got home just in time for finals and I don’t think I have ever felt happier for a semester to end. The classes were good, but it was a packed and stressful semester.

July: So, once I found out that my husband would not be able to enter the states for much longer than we thought, we decided I would go back to Argentina.
After a lovely 4th of July with my sisters in Salt Lake City, I boarded my plane and left. I know, slightly ironic celebrating the birth of my nation and then abandoning it.

I arrived in Argentina on the 7th of July, very happy to see my husband after 5 months apart and just in time for our 1st year anniversary. And what did we do to celebrate? We spent the weekend with his parents, at their house. (Yes, this is the last time I will be leaving the planning up to my husband.)

2 comments:

  1. TE QUIERO MUCHO ESPERO QUE ESTES FELIZ, CUANTO HAS ECHO PARA ESTAR CON TU AMADO ESPOSO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel! It's so good to hear what's going on in your life. Keep us updated! We miss you over here.

    ReplyDelete